Watermarking or branding your photos is something a blogger should consider. Not only does it make your work more professional, it also prevent others from ‘stealing’ your work without giving you a proper credit. Giving credit when it’s due is one of the golden rules in blogging.

Pixlr Express does have ‘siblings’. πŸ˜› You could say that the other oneΒ is more fun – Pixlr-o-matic, while the other is more advanced,Β Pixlr Editor.

To a degree, Pixlr Editor looks a little like Photoshop. But wait…. it doesn’t mean it’s scary! I believe that once you get to know the basic tools there, you’re good to go!

While I was writing this post, I also came across this Β excellentΒ article that pretty much explain why you should ‘brand or watermark your photos’.

Based on what I’ve seen, most bloggers brand their images or photos, rather than watermarking them. Watermark tends to cover or blend in with the image, while ‘branding’ is what you’ll see either on the bottom left or right hand side of the image. And that’s what we’re going to do here, while at the same time, familiarize this new editing site.

Killing two birds with one stone, I’d say.

Important: Please note that this is a beginner’s tutorial on a FREE editing site Pixlr and I am fully aware that you can batch your photos and watermark them that way via Photoshop or other clients online (but you have to pay extra for it!).

1. Getting Started

Go to www.pixlr.com/editor

Note: Click on images below for better viewing.

If you’re branding your own image, then click Open image from computer as shown above, otherwise click the other options that’s appropriate.

1FamiliariseTools

Let’s get to knowΒ the basic tools that would help us brand our image or work. Also on the right, you’ll see 3 Panels:

• Navigator – gives you the option to Zoom In or Out your Image , whichever is convenient for you.
  • Layers Β – tells you what’s currently on your screen and let’s you edit your work by clicking on the layer you want to edit.
  • History – tells you the actions you’ve done on your Image so far, and when click, you can Undo or Redo the action.

Layer 0 – refers to the Image.

If you want to Resize your Image to a desired width and height for your blog, you can do so by clicking Image then choose Image Size.

To continue…

2. Adding Text…

2 AddingText

Select the ‘A’ icon and then click anywhere on the Image. The Text box will then pop up (as shown) and then the small rectangular box will also appear on the Image. Once you start typing on the Text box, this texts will appear in the rectangular box.

Important: Notice that on the Layers’ panel, another layer has appeared? The new layer with the ‘A’ icon above Layer 0, is your Text Layer.

Once you’ve added your text, the ‘A’ in the Layers panel will now contain whatever you’ve written. In this case, Sweetjellybean.com. You can technically change the label on the Layers panel, say put Blog Title instead, and it won’t affect on what’s written on the Image right now.

If you want to Edit your Text , make sure that Layer ‘A’ Sweetjellybean.com is highlighted as shown, and then click on the text itself on the Image to proceed with editing.

4 ChangingTextColor
Changing the Text color is pretty simple, too. Shown above.

Now that we’ve changed Text’s color, another way of moving this ‘branding’ Β to a desired location is to use the Move tool.

Again, by selecting the icon, you can click and drag the Text (Sweetjellybean.com) shown on the Image.

3. Reducing Opacity or Transparency

Since we don’t want this ‘branding’ to get in the way and take your Β readers attention away from the Image, you can reduce its Opacity or Transparency, see above.

4. Save!

Now that you’re a happy bunny with your ‘branding’ it’s time to save this Image!

What I like about Pixlr Editor is that you’re able to save this Image as .pxd. and also save it as .png or .jpg to use on your blog, whereas the .pxd file option is not available on Pixlr Express.

Pxd files are editable via Pixlr Editor, so you wouldn’t have to start from scratch if you want to alter something , or reposition the ‘branding’. And that’s what’s good about Layers, something Pixlr Express doesn’t have.

So that’s how the cookie crumbles…

Want to know more on how easy to copy Β your ‘branding’ to the next image without having to do it all over again?

Go to Page 2.

1 2

54 comments

i didnt know that was a watermark!!! im so doing it!!!
xoxo

Didn’t realize it until few weeks ago! hahah

i think it might be a bit time consuming, specially fi you blog from the wp app, but at the end it avoids ppl taking ur pics and using them as their own or simply just using them and nobody knowing they came from you. I wish I ould have done this with some of my pics! :/

I know what you mean! I sometimes slack off watermarking or branding my photos.. just takes time, but I know once you get into a habit of doing it, it should be fine. WP app is certainly harder when it comes to this.

Nice! Nice! Nice! πŸ™‚ I’ll try to learn this stuff soon. The soonest perhaps? hehehe!

Yeah! And let me know how you get on.

Thanks for sharing that, I am so hopeless when it comes to this kind of thing!!

Np hun! glad I could share. Unlike photoshop, this one’s free! heheh

I have been looking for this from so long. Thank you very much πŸ™‚

Awww, hope I’m not too late to post this. πŸ™‚ and you’re welcome!

Very interesting! I’m definitely doing it with my next photos! πŸ˜€ Thanks for sharing!

Mel

You’re welcome Mel! Let me know how you get on! πŸ˜‰

Thanks for sharing this! Very helpful πŸ˜€ I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog award ! http://mademoisellesnow.wordpress.com/2012/09/18/liebster-award/ xoxo

Lisa, thank you so much and a bunch more for the nomination! πŸ™‚

You definitely deserve it πŸ˜€

A great tip! I was wondering how to do this! Thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

Wow! Thanks for you detailed explanation. I’ll have a go soon. Thanks for all the hard work!

You’re welcome Janet! In fact, I had your comment in mind about some of my readers being visual learners, so Thank You! πŸ˜‰ Let me know how you get on πŸ˜‰

Glad you did this tutorial..photoshop would just be too complicated for me to show. This way is much easier for all of you to try πŸ™‚

I agree, too many buttons and icons in Photoshop hahaha.. even I still feel overwhelmed by it at times. Although the same steps that I’ve done here can easily be done with Photoshop, it’s just not everyone has Photoshop downloaded, so Pixlr (being free) is the next best thing. πŸ™‚

Yeah Photoshop is too expensive just to use it for photo retouching..being free Pixlr is way better for bloggers! πŸ™‚

I’ve always wanted to be able to do this! Picasa is a pain to go through with and I’m not even sure the allow us to alter the opacity of text, but I’ve gotten used to Pixlr/express and it grew on me so this should be like chocolate cake! Thanks a ton for sharing this πŸ˜€

By the way, the link doesn’t work.

Thanks Divine for letting me know! Not sure what happened there, it was working before I posted this. Very strange. It should work now. πŸ™‚ Thanks my sugary friend πŸ˜‰

Do tell me if this one turned out to be just a chocolate cake (good enough to be paired with a hot coco). πŸ˜‰

Thanks for sharing! I should start watermarking my photos.

No problem! Glad I could share a little. πŸ™‚

Hi D,
Thank you so very much for sharing this and answering all my silly questions at midnight.
I played around with pixlr yesterday and as you can see from my latest post I managed to ‘brand’ the photos on my latest post πŸ˜€ but at that stage I had no idea how to copy the ‘branding’ to a new picture. I was searching all the buttons for ‘insert new image’ to the current one with no luck and didn’t want to bug you again hehehe πŸ˜‰
so this DIY is soooooooooooo helpful – THANK YOU!!!
Branding/Watermarking your photos is definitely time consuming (as I found out last night) especially for a food blog like mine where I like to show step by step baking pictures, but I would take that time and ‘brand’ them all. But after this great tutorial I think it will be much quicker πŸ˜‰

I personally have not experienced anyone taking credit for my photos yet (knock wood or my pics are not worthy of stealing hahaha) but I have heard/read from other bloggers that their pics have been ‘stolen’ without being credited to the point where they had to take legal action.
I can totally understand why as it’s your hard work that you have put into it and to have someone else come along and steal it is just not on!! With so much social media networks out there is it hard to control who is using your pictures and for what, so I am definitely all for ‘branding/watermarking’ my pictures.

Thanks once again for the easy to follow tutorial D πŸ˜€

Angie, you’re welcome as always. I’ve been wanting to do this post for weeks, if not months! And I think you finally encourage me to do it. Glad I’m able to help you on this a little. Definitely, with food blog like yours, it would be hard work! With all those cupcakes, cakes, and lots and lots of bakin’ you do, I can only imagine. But we don’t want anyone stealing those cupcakes now, do we? heheh. So perhaps in the future, you might be willing to invest on Photoshop, as it has the ‘batch’ feature that would watermark all your photos automatically in a click of a button! hehehe

What a fantastic tutorial, thanks so much for doing this hun will definatley try it out. Xx

Do try it out, and see how you feel about it and the tool site πŸ™‚ Let me know. Thanks! x

This is such a great tutorial. I think everyone needs to watermark or brand their images if they don’t want people snatching them without permission.

Thank you Angie.
You’re right, it definitely stops people from snatching your work, at least if they do, the readers know who owns it and can be redirected to your site.

Exactly! πŸ˜€

awesome tips as usual!! x

Great tip. Thanks for sharing. KJ x

You’re welcome KJ, sorry it took a few days to reply :-s

Thanks!
xoxo
The Clarences

You’re welcome! xx

Thanks! How was your day?
Hope all is well.
xoxo
The Clarences

It’s really tiring to do for all the photos but if the watermark is less obvious then it’d be wayy better (like what you showed above!) πŸ˜€

I know what you mean hun. Especially if what you do in your blog involves so many pictures! But apparently there’s a client or tool you can use that would batch your photos and will watermark it automatically. I’ve seen a few tutorials on it online using Photoshop, and it’s kinda cool. But then again, not everyone has Photoshop!

I personally can’t stand watermarked photos. I am a full time blogger and I make a living from my blog but I just don’t like the look of it. In any case if I were to watermark things I would use a client that had a batch tool such as lightroom, where it would place the watermark for me when I exported my photos rather than doing them individually.

It’s definitely not everyone’s cuppa. And I can understand. Sometimes, I’m not eve able to do mine. I normally go for ‘branding’ instead, but even that, especially with many photos, it takes time or a lot of work. I can definitely understand how you feel. And lightroom is definitely your best client for this type of job when it comes to tons of photos to be watermarked, but not everyone has it. Thanks for your input, Rian, especially from a full time blogger, as yourself.

Great idea and great tutorial! Unfortunately, I hardly ever use my computer to write posts anymore. I always just use my iPad and upload pics and posts through the wp app. sometimes I’m not near a computer and sometimes I just don’t feel like turning a computer on lol great post though!

Thanks Kirsten! And thank you for reblogging it πŸ™‚
I can definitely understand what you’re saying. I so wish I could actually use my WP app on my Iphone, but it’s just so crap! The app on my Android phone was way better, this one just not good. I only ever use it when checking out blogs via Reader. But yes, I sometimes feel like taking a break from blogging for a little bit and just watch some of my favourite dramas hahah

Reblogged this on f00dventures and commented:
A great post from a great blogger about watermarking/branding your photos. Super easy tutorial!

Another amazing DIY, yaaay! Well, I learn something new each day. I didnt know this difference between branding and watermarking. I usually do branding in PicMonkey, which I usually use for editing images. I’ll definitely try this out, I’ve been preparing many new things on my blog like header and blog buttons for a while, but just can’t grab enough spare time for that.. I should lock myself in my room and, get plenty of coffee and set to work πŸ˜‰

I didn’t know either! heheh. I thought it was just watermark and that’s it. But there’s a difference apparently. Coffee would definitely go well if you want to concentrate πŸ˜‰

Thanks for this one! I tried in Pixlr Express before though I think it sucks there. I’m gonna give this a try. Cheers!

Yeah, I know what you mean. There’s only so much you can do via Pixlr Express, and although you can reduce opacity, if u want the branding to look the same, there’s just no way of copying and pasting the right appearance πŸ™ Hope you get on well with it πŸ˜‰

I’m thinking of branding my images too. But since most of my images are taken from google, I don’t brand them. The only creations that are mine include my collages. I put my blog symbol using polyvore so that no can use them! hehe.. this is was very helpful.. πŸ™‚

#Pixlr Editor #Watermark or Brand Your Photos in 4 Easy Steps: http://t.co/G16DbKmp5C #DIY #Graphics via @sweetjellybean5